Having a professional-quality logo for your website is important for branding purposes. A professionally designed logo can catch attention, help your customers recognize your business, help you to build your brand, and give customers a sense that they are working with a trustworthy company.
There are three types of logos you can create: text-only, symbol and shapes, and a combination of both. Let’s take a look at each of these types:
Most newspapers continue to use text only logos made up of their names. They just use a fancy typeface or font and stick to it for decades. After a while, some logos will get old and outdated but a plain text logo seems to maintain its appeal longer.
Symbols and shapes logos
A logo does not have to be a lot of fancy unrecognizable shapes and colors. In fact, something as simple as a circle with three smaller circles could be used to symbolize someone in a bowling-related business. The simpler a design, the more appealing it is.
Combination of text and image
A color or a shape can make a text logo more appealing. You can also create a background or a partial background with a contrasting color.
Many large companies will modify their logo from time to time. Some changes may only be in color or font style, while others will undertake a complete makeover.
Today you don’t need to hire a graphic designer to create your own professional looking and unique logo. Let's see what can you use to make a logo that will make you proud:
- LogoMaker.com is a free and easy to use logo creating tool that also helps you choose three types of a logo — with an initial, with an image, and text logo with creative fonts. The quality of logos is simple yet stylish. You can download the logo after registration.
- Canva.com is a go-to destination for all your DIY graphics needs, and logos are no exception! Create a professional-quality logo for free from pre-designed elements using a drag-and-drop image editor.
- designevo.com presents you with hundreds of pre-designed logo templates. All you need is to add your own company name and a slogan (optional, this field can be deleted) and in a few clicks you can download a professional-quality logo that you can use anywhere - and yes, it’s free, too.
Tip: once you have downloaded your logo image, make sure to resize it to fit the header requirements. Add it to the Header block and you are all set!
What makes a great logo
When creating a logo, there are five attributes of a great logo that you need to keep in mind:
- Simple: a simple logo design allows for easy recognition and allows the logo to be versatile and memorable, no matter if you are using a text or a symbol. Simple logos look better on various devices and also in a variety of surfaces, such as print and marketing merchandise for added consistency.
- Memorable: a good logo has to be memorable so that it sets your company apart from the competition. Find out what you want your logo to symbolize with your company with the use of composition, shapes, and font. Remember, simplicity is key for better memorability.
- Timeless: A strong and effective logo has to be timeless and will stand the test of time. Ditch the trends and try to imagine if your logo will stand out in ten, twenty, or fifty years?
- Versatile: this quality is linked to simplicity. Your logo needs to be able to work across a variety of mediums and applications, to be scaled up and down, and to look good in color as well as black and white.
- Purposeful: your logo should clearly convey your message. You should work on your logo with the target market in mind and the industry you are connected with.
Marketing experts say that customers need just 2 to 3 seconds to read, understand and decide on products or services they are considering. If your logo is illegible, too difficult to read or understand, your customers will move on to the next online offering.