- The browser’s address bar for active pages.
- The list of favorites or bookmarks.
- In the drop-down list of predicted URLs in the browser.
- On a link to your site on the “home screen” of a mobile device.
Here are some reasons why favicons are important:
- Stronger branding: as with your logo, your favicon helps users remember your site.
- Better recognition: the human brain processes images much easier and quicker than words, so visitors will quickly recognize your website in the browser.
- Consistent experience: users appreciate favicon presence and definitely notice their absence.
Creating a favicon
If you are ready to create a favicon, you have two ways of doing it:
- Search online a free favicon generator. A good example is https://www.favicon-generator.org which also generates app icons for iOS, Android and Windows mobile devices.
- Create your image which should measure 16 pixels by 16 pixels. You can use an initial letter of your business name or a simplified version of your logo.
Remember, a favicon is a very small image. Avoid adding too much detail since a blurry favicon is worse than no favicon at all.
For the best results, choose a file with named with "....size 96x96.png"
Adding a favicon
To add your custom favicon to your website, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Website link in the top left corner of the Website Editor.
- Click on the Website settings… link.
3) Locate the option to add a favicon.
Click on Choose icon button and choose the file from your computer.
4. Click Open in your browser add the favicon.
Note: make sure your file is in either a .ico or .png format.
5. To confirm changes, click Apply in the Website Settings menu.
Congratulations! Your favicon has been added successfully.