The Online Store offers advanced product management and presentation functionality such as setting product availability, adding product options, price comparisons, "Buy now" buttons and "Related items" suggestions.
This feature is useful if you are selling a limited number of products, or have run out of a specific product and want to display an "Out of Stock" notification.
- Click Catalog > Products.
- Select the product you'd like to mark as out of stock.
- On the right-hand side, under Availability, click Disable.
- This will mark the product as "Out of stock" on your published site.
- To control your stock and ensure that it is managed effectively, under Stock Control, click Manage.
- You can indicate the number of items you have in stock, as well as request an email to be sent to you when you are out of stock.
- When you have finished, click Save.
- Click Catalog > Products.
- Select the product you'd like to edit.
- In the Product box, click Options.
- Decide what you want your option to do and be called and click +Add New Option.
- Complete the title (e.g., T-shirt).
- Select the input type:
- Select: Drop-down menu with option values (e.g., yes or no for a gift-wrap option).
- Radio: Radio-buttons with option values (e.g., small, medium, large).
- Date Picker: An input box with the popup calendar to select a date.
- Text Field and Text Area: One line and multi-line input boxes to enter any text (e.g., if a customer wants to add a message to a gift).
- Upload file: Allows a customer to attach files to his/her purchase (e.g., if you're selling t-shirts and customers can upload their own designs)
- Checkboxes: Checkboxes allow customers to select multiple items from one product option. This is helpful if, for example, you are a pizzeria, and you want customers to be able to select a pizza and various toppings.
- Click +Add New Selection and then complete the text box under the Title column (e.g., Green t-shirt).
- Set the price modifier if applicable (e.g., if there is a price difference between this and other options):
+ sign adds the amount to the base price.
- sign deducts the amount from the base price.
$ sign adds/deducts the amount as money.
% sign adds/deducts the amount as a percentage.
Enter the value (money or percentage dependent upon your selection in column two).
- If you have more than one selection, then you will need to choose which one is the default one.
- Click Save.
- Track inventory per option (stock based on options). For example, you can have one t-shirt available in “S” and “L” sizes, and then you can have a separate stock for each size. So for example, if “S” size is sold out, your customers will still be able to purchase the “L” one.
- Assign different images to your options. When a customer selects an option, the product's main image is updated. This allows your customers to instantly see what they are going to buy and what the option looks like.
- If your options affect (raise/lower) your product price, the product combinations feature allows you to update your product price on the fly. Your customer will be able to see the new price immediately on the product details page.
- Assign a different weight to your options. If you use options to sell products in different packs or bundles, then your shipping methods will return more accurate rates.
Follow the steps above to add related products, and then:
- Go to Product
- Click Related products
- Click Assign products to choose products from the catalog.
- Alternatively, turn the Display random products option on.
The related products will be displayed on the checkout page.