Managing customers and communicating with them is crucial for running the online business. Every time a new customer places an order in your Online Store, they appear on your customer list.
How to manage customers
You can see and manage your customers by navigating to My Sales > Customers.
You can edit several settings for your customers. To access the editing menu, click on the pencil icon.
Alternatively, choose a customer in the table and click Modify button. You can change the following settings for your customers:
- Add customers to groups: you can create groups and offer group discounts. For example, creating a Wholesalers group. Read more about creating customer groups.
- Mark customers as tax-exempt: If you charge taxes in your store, you can mark some customers as tax exempt.
- Change email marketing permissions: toggle the green switch to be able to send promotional emails to the customer. Please note the new changes to email marketing to EU-based customers.
- See all orders placed by a specific customer. To do it, click on the number in the Order count column.
What can customers do in their accounts
When customers place an order or create an account in your store, they automatically appear on your customer list. In their accounts in your Online Store your customers can:
- View order status: Customers can see all their orders with current payment and fulfillment statuses.
- Specify the VAT ID: when a customer enters their VAT ID, it will auto-fill on checkout.
Logging into the customer account
After an order is placed, the customer's account is created automatically for the email address used. To access their accounts, your customers use their email address - no password is necessary.
Tip: Since the login link is sent to the email address, only the owner of the email address is able to log into the account. This link can be used only once and will expire in 14 days.
Here's how your customers can log in:
1. They click the Sign in link and enter their email address.
2. After the email has been validated by the system, your customer receives the link in their inbox.
3. When the customer clicks the link, they are taken back to the storefront and they are logged in. Now they can view their order history, add or edit a new address, or update their email address.
Your customers can also view their order history for any selected time range: